Recipe courtesy of Jackie Cross of Tom Douglas Restaurants and aldenteblog.com
4 pounds dark sweet cherries
2 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup brandy
- Stem, rinse and pit cherries, saving any juice.
- Combine cherries, juice, and sugar in a saucepan - heat the mixture gently over medium heat, stirring it occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and cherries are hot. Themixture should not actually boil, though.
- Divide the brandy among six to nine hot, clean, pint canning jars. Lift the cherries from the syrup using a slotted spoon and distribute them among the jars, leaving ½ inch of headspace.
- Reheat the syrup until boiling and fill the jars with it, leaving ½ inch of headspace.
- Remove any bubbles and add more syrup, if necessary.
- Process the jars in a water bath for 15 minutes to seal.